By the 1880's sand had not
only become a large part of Norfolk County. It had become
a threat to its very well being. Over forestation had
become a severe problem in the area.
It destroyed the soil and threatened
to turn southern Norfolk into a desert wasteland. In
1906, a plan was formed that would lead to the creation
of the first reforestation office in Ontario, the St.
Williams Forestry Station.