On March twenty-third, 1670, two french missionaries, Dollier de Casson and Rene de Brenhant de Galinee, planted a cross at Black Creek to mark their sojourn there. It bore an inscription which stated that the they and seven French man were the first to winter on the Lake Erie shore and that they had taken possession of the land in name of King Lous XIV of France, as an occupied country, by attaching his arms to the foot of the Cross.
Click image to see larger view.
 

Sorry, no comments available at this time. Please try again later.
 
 
© 2003 Pixel Dust Studios in Partnership with the Cayuga & District Chamber of Commerce • Contact us at mail@visualheritage.ca