by Dana Stavinga
In 1800 Jacob Hoover, through his son, David, purchased twenty-five hundred
acres of land along Lake Erie. The area was known only as Stoney Creek,
or Walpole by the locals. In 1802 the first mill was built on Stoney Creek
by Jessie Hoover. It was known as Hoover Mill.
The Steele and Evans families were among those taking up land alongside
the Hoovers. Thinking that the crossroads was a good place for a village,
in 1826, William Steele and his wife Susannah bought land from David Hoover
and gave the little community the name of Williamsville, after himself.
In 1833 the local settlers cut a road though their woods and soon after
a mail service was expanded from Dunnville to Vittoria with John Evans
who was employed as a mail courier. It was a three day round trip and
made it necessary that the little hamlet now have an official name. Selkirk