The Town of Paris (named after plaster of paris, which was plentiful in the area) was founded by Hiram Caprum. A "high-tech geek" of his time, Caprum made his money off of an iron furnace at Long Point.

In the early 1900's, Penman's knitting mills brought woman in from all over the world to work in Paris. Because of this, the majority of bread winners were female - an almost unheard of circumstance during this time period.

Click image to see larger view.
 

Sorry, no comments available at this time. Please try again later.

© 2003 Pixel Dust Studios in Partnership with the Cayuga & District Chamber of Commerce • Contact us at mail@visualheritage.ca